First lady meets haenyeo, expresses respect, gratitude
时间:2023-12-10 09:41:25 出处:직업阅读（143）
First lady Kim Keon Hee met with a small group of haenyeo -- female divers from Jeju Island who have traditionally harvested by hand mollusks and seaweed from the sea for a living – in Jongdal-li, Gujwa-eup, Jeju Island, Friday, and expressed respect and gratitude to them for maintaining the tradition despite difficult conditions.
About 10 people attended the meeting, including some who have been diving in Jeju for decades and others who recently came to Jeju from Seoul to learn how to become haenyeo.
Kim listened to stories of how haenyeo have tried to maintain their traditional work and culture while introducing them to young generations. Stories were shared by the CEO of Haenyeo's Kitchen, a restaurant that combines performances by haenyeo and seafood harvested by them, and two young women who came to Jeju Island from Seoul because they were attracted to the haenyeo lifestyle.
Jeju's haenyeo are designated National Intangible Cultural Heritage no. 132 and Important Fisheries Heritage no. 1, while their culture is inscribed in UNESCO's list of Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity.
- 北, 러시아 외무장관 방북 발표…내달 18~19일 방문
- TvN’s ‘Unexpected Business’ to return with season 3
- [Hello Hangeul] Korean language instructors' working conditions remain subpar
- Seoul shares open higher ahead of US jobs data
- 163 S. Koreans arrive home from Israel on military aircraft
- Hyundai’s decadeslong support for archery pays off at Asian Games
- KCON Saudi Arabia 2023 attracts 23,000 K
- Questions remain after passage of anonymous birth bill
- TvN Sports, CGV to screen Bundesliga’s first ‘Korean derby’